In each of the situations, identify the type of communication used (upward, downward, or horizontal). Then address the issues with the communication and strategies to improve the communication.
- Joey is the branch manager and sends an e-mail to all of his employees, notifying them of a vacation time policy change. Employees are disappointed with this communication, as they felt they should have had some say in the way the policy has changed.
- Mariette works on the factory floor and notified her supervisor verbally of some safety concerns. The supervisor is busy and forgets to follow up on the safety concerns.
- Kashia works in the hospital’s mental health unit and notifies her colleague via e-mail about the status of three patients. Her colleague doesn’t see the e-mail until later in the day.
- Amiee is the manager of an electronics store and leaves notes for her morning opening shift about what is expected for the day. The morning supervisor doesn’t understand one of the notes, so the work does not get done.
- At a car dealership, the parts manager and service manager need to work together to order parts needed for services scheduled the following week. This is done via a weekly meeting. However, last week’s meeting was canceled, so all of the parts aren’t in stock to complete the service jobs.
- The chief executive officer used a survey to determine employee satisfaction. Only 10 percent of employees responded to the survey.